As my son's summer vacation approaches, I am at my wits end as to how I would keep him engaged for a period of two months. Options are aplenty with everblooming summer camps or a fancy vacation to some exotic place. After spending a small fortune for experience coupled with fun I am sure he would be delighted .I indulgently asked him if he was happy.
"Amma leave me alone.I hate all this." he said.
This leaves me pondering ..How did the parents of yore engage their children during their summer vacations .It also brought back refreshing memories of my own childhood where devoid of summer camps or luxurious visits abroad ,we had the time of our lives enjoying the little pleasures life had to offer us .As I sit back and recollect , a wave of nostalgia sweeps through me and takes me through a scintillating journey of my childhood .
"Amma leave me alone.I hate all this." he said.
This leaves me pondering ..How did the parents of yore engage their children during their summer vacations .It also brought back refreshing memories of my own childhood where devoid of summer camps or luxurious visits abroad ,we had the time of our lives enjoying the little pleasures life had to offer us .As I sit back and recollect , a wave of nostalgia sweeps through me and takes me through a scintillating journey of my childhood .
![]() |
| Greenery galore |
Every year as children we eagerly awaited our summer vacations as it was the only time we could play with our friends without any time restrictions .Our activities involved indulging in board games in the morning .We relished the cool lemonade served by my friends' mom to quench our parched throats.The evening were spent playing games in the sand of construction sites nearby .
Each day would pass eagerly anticipating the announcement of our trip to our native lace,Palakkad where all our cousins lived. And lo and behold, once it was announced, we packed our bags not leaving behind even petty stuff like marbles!We always took the slow chugging passenger train from Coimbatore to palakkad which took an hour and a half to cover . Till date after having travelled in closeted flights I could say it was the most enjoyable journey we've experienced. Munching on peanuts,vadas or anything edible that was sold we took in the sights and sounds of the lush greenery that began once we entered Kerala .Halting at Palakkad junction, I was always fascinated by the aroma of the banana chips sold there. The buzz in the air was palpable and in sync with our excitement.We slowly made our way to my Grandmother's house and the fun began .
The following month was spent with compulsory visits to the nearby temple every morning and evening . The feel of the cold sandalwood paste as I applied it one my forehead was enchanting. We spend the days playing in the small coconut grove adjacent our house sipping on endless supplies of tender coconuts .I was totally in awe of my local cousins whose idea of a bath was wallowing in the ice cool water from the well ,something which a city child like me could never dream of . Evenings were spent visiting each relative residing nearby and I would eagerly anticipate the goodies they'd offer . Sometimes the local temple had small festivities and if we were lucky we got to perch atop decorated elephants.All our meals were traditional Kerala fare and there were yummy delicacies like jackfruit jam which we tucked into. By any means if we fell ill, the treatment pertained to only grandma's remedies.Our outings included visits to the nearby single Theatre or the tiny Summer Fair . Before we knew it, time had sped by and we reluctantly bade goodbye taking the passenger train back home . Every year it was the same visit but it left us so refreshed and longing for more. We returned to school highly energized and with lingering memories to last a lifetime .
Today I wish I could take my son there and recall each wonderful experience . Unfortunately most relatives have migrated to greener pastures . I wish he could experience all the joys I did back then forgetting about TV,cartoons and summer coaching .Of course times have changed and we need to embrace the change . The remaining academic year can be dreams . Right now is the time to indulge , to laze away and experience the simple pleasures of life which would persist in his imagination for a lifetime .There will be no fancy vacations...I will take him to a village this summer.


No comments:
Post a Comment