It had been a really long time since I had been on a holiday and I had been begging my hubby for one . Surprisingly he didnt need much convincing (as is the wont usually) and we together surfed the net for a suitable holiday spot . After a lot of searching - scanning we booked a houseboat in the lush green backwaters of Kumarakom with overnight stay in the houseboat . It was a 24 hour package and I must say totally worth it . It was a lovely brush with nature after a long time of being in the concrete jungles of Hyderabad.
We boarded the houseboat at Kumarakom at around 11AM and were immediately given a welcome drink which we thoroughly enjoyed . I was surprised at the interiors of the houseboat which were much more posh than I expected .My son had a great time running around the entire houseboat which even boasted of a first floor .The entire houseboat was well furnished and beautifully maintained and we fell in love with its interiors.
| First floor |
Lazing away and taking in the beautiful scenery as the boat set sail, we spotted all kinds of birds which we had never seen before . The entire stretch was dotted with coconut trees and sparkling waters .After a relaxed time came the best part - the freshly cooked lunch on board the boat . Being strict vegetarians we were treated to more kuzambu, sambar , cabbage thoran , raw banana fry , olan , curds and an array of cut fruits .I wanted to click a picture of the food but being too hungry we promptly tucked in. The scrumptious meal made us want to doze off but we didnt want to miss any of the scenery . We spotted a lot of fishing boats and chinese fishing nets and I envied the fishermen who could bask in the backwaters daily .
Evening bought with it piping hot masala tea and freshly prepared onion pakodas We finally halted near a tiny village at dusk. It was pure serenity untouched by humans and the view where we halted was breath taking .
A student going to college by boat , breath taking houses and a a host of other things were a feast to the eyes as we sailed along.
| Lucky Student ! |
| Village |
It was truly one of the best travel experiences I ever had . Rejuvenating , refreshing and totally one with nature , I was awestruck by the beauty of the backwaters of Kerala. It is pure bliss and definitely ought to be experienced . Though a bit on the expensive side, it is totally worth it , if you want to escape from the hustle and bustle of city life . Hubby , myself and son felt totally refreshed and we would recommend this once in a lifetime trip to everyone . Only word of advice and caution is to look for a genuine houseboat which is well maintained and always go in a group since the village where the boat halts is a totally isolated one .It leaves us in no doubt as to why Kerala is called 'God's Own Country 'Bon voyage !!
No comments:
Post a Comment